Sunday, July 22, 2012

First Day on the Job

So a couple of weeks ago i completed my first job training for my first job!  I got a job as a  Recovery Coach which is a new program beginning in California.  While in Carson (where the training was held) I learned a lot of new things about my job and doing the job, as well as about people in general.

First of all let me explain what my future job entails.  A Recovery Coach is peer support through one on one and group sessions to help people set and achieve their goals.  Training was about listening skills and the many tactics used by recovery coaches to do their jobs.  I know poeple who know me are thinking i'm extremely shy and this is not the job for me, which brings me to to my first topic.

Shy people have no place in the world.  I know that might sound harsh but it is what I believe.  The training involved a lot of group work and for someone like me this really sucks.  But, by the second day I was forming friendships and have casual conversation.   It helped me realize that working with people is an extremely valuable skill to life in general.

I also learned that everywhere you go there or all types of people.  For example, as I mentioned before, this program is brand new in California and people came from different states to attend.  Yet there were still plenty of know it alls who had something to say about literally everything. There was also a couple of people who did not want to be there which made me ponder, then why did you come?

Now, I did like some things about the job training.  For instance, the commute.  Or more specifically the traffic.  Now me being a driver myself, I understand how stressful traffic can be but as a passenger there is nothing better.  I found time to listen to new music, beat my high score on Fruit Nirja, and most importanlty catch up on some sleep I missed.

Overall the training was a good experience.  I got to learn many new things as mentioned earlier, and also was able to get out of Palmdale for a few days which is always a plus.  And let me not forget to mention the fact that my employer provided lunch daily. I got to meet some new people which is interesting.  And lastly, it gave me a topic to blog about on which gets me one stop closer to being done with my summer work for English.

No comments:

Post a Comment